Carpet is a popular flooring option for many homes because it’s relatively inexpensive, and can be durable. When it comes to cleaning carpet, it’s not as easy as it seems. Tough stains and dirt on your carpet may not go away without a proper cleaner. A homemade dry carpet shampoo can help tidy up your carpet. Moreover, wet cleaning processes may need a lot of time and effort. If you want to clean your carpet, eliminate any odors, and finish cleaning in a limited period, then you can try a dry carpet cleaner. Today, you will learn how to make your own dry carpet cleaner at home.
Dry carpet cleaners are basically a mixture of powdered ingredients. For effective cleaning, a dry carpet cleaner should have the power to lift the stains and eliminating odors. Below are the essential ingredients in preparing a homemade dry carpet cleaner.
- Baking Soda
- Natural Scent powder
- Take a bowl
- Add 1 Tbsp of Baking Soda
- Add 1 Tbsp of Borax
- Add 1 Tbsp of cornstarch
- Add 1 Tbsp of Cloves (for scent)
- Mix the ingredients well
- Put it in a jar with a shaker top
How to use Homemade Dry Carpet Shampoo
- Firstly, vacuum your carpet before applying the dry carpet shampoo. Afterwards, sprinkle the powder on the carpet.
- Once you have applied the powder throughout your carpeting, sweep your carpet so the shampoo can clean deeper than the surface. Sweep to spread the cleaner, rather than to remove it.
- After sweeping, let the cleaner sit for an hour or two. The baking soda will work to remove odors, while borax and cornstarch will work to loosen up dirt and debris in the carpet fibers.
- Once the dry carpet shampoo has been sitting for some time, vacuum. This will pick up the dry shampoo along with any dirt and odors it’s absorbed.
Each of the steps has to be followed strictly for an effective result. In addition, you can add baby powder, lavender powder, and/or essential oils to get a pleasant smell and tidy cleaning.
Sometimes, carpet needs a little help beyond routine vacuuming. If your carpet is in need of some help, but doesn’t yet need the annual deep clean, you can use a homemade dry carpet shampoo to help eliminate any lingering odors in your carpet. If your carpet has stubborn pet stains, or other stain types, our team at On the Spot Carpet Cleaners specialize in spot removal so your carpet looks like the day it was installed.